Your Image
Lesson 24
第24课
A skeleton in the cupboard
橱柜里的骨架
Who was Sebastian?
塞巴斯蒂安是谁?
We often read in novels how a seemingly respectable person or family has some terrible secret which has been concealed from strangers for years.
我们经常在小说中读到一个看似可敬的人或家庭如何有一些可怕的秘密,这些秘密多年来一直被陌生人隐瞒。
The English language possesses a vivid saying to describe this sort of situation.
英语有一个生动的说法来描述这种情况.
The terrible secret is called 'a skeleton in the cupboard'.
可怕的秘密被称为'橱柜里的骷髅'。
At some dramatic moment in the story, the terrible secret becomes known and a reputation is ruined.
在故事的某个戏剧性时刻,可怕的秘密被人所知,名声也被毁了。
The reader's hair stands on end when he reads in the final pages of the novel that the heroine, a dear old lady who had always been so kind to everybody, had, in her youth, poisoned every one of her five husbands.
当读者在小说的最后几页读到女主角,一位对每个人都很好的亲爱的老太太,在她年轻的时候,毒害了她的五个丈夫中的每一个。
It is all very well for such things to occur in fiction.
这样的事情在小说中发生是很好的.
To varying degrees, we all have secrets which we do not want even our closest friends to learn,
在不同程度上,我们都有秘密,即使是我们最亲密的朋友也不想学习,
but few of us have skeletons in the cupboard.
但我们很少有人在橱柜里有骷髅。
The only person I know who has a skeleton in the cupboard is George Carlton, and he is very proud of the fact.
我认识的唯一一个在橱柜里有骨架的人是乔治卡尔顿,他对这一事实感到非常自豪。
George studied medicine in his youth.
乔治年轻时学医。
Instead of becoming a doctor, however, he became a successful writer of detective stories.
然而,他没有成为一名医生,而是成为一名成功的侦探故事作家。
I once spent an uncomfortable weekend which I shall never forget at his house.
我曾经在他家度过了一个不舒服的周末,我永远不会忘记。
George showed me to the guestroom which, he said, was rarely used.
乔治带我到客房,他说,这是很少使用。
He told me to unpack my things and then come down to dinner.
他让我把东西打开,然后下来吃晚饭.
After I had stacked my shirts and underclothes in two empty drawers, I decided to hang one of the two suits I had brought with me in the cupboard.
当我把衬衫和内衣叠在两个空抽屉里后,我决定把我带来的两件西装中的一件挂在柜子里。
I opened the cupboard door and then stood in front of it petrified.
我打开橱柜门,然后站在它前面吓呆了。
A skeleton was dangling before my eyes.
一具骷髅在我眼前晃来晃去.
The sudden movement of the door made it sway slightly and it gave me the impression that it was about to leap out at me.
门的突然移动使它微微摇摆,给我的印象是它即将向我跳出来。
Dropping my suit, I dashed downstairs to tell George.
我丢下西装,冲下楼去告诉乔治.
This was worse than 'a terrible secret'; this was a real skeleton!
这比'一个可怕的秘密'更糟糕;这是一个真正的骨架!
But George was unsympathetic.
但乔治没有同情心。
'Oh, that,' he said with a smile as if he were talking about an old friend.
"哦,那个,"他笑着说,好像他在谈论一个老朋友。
'That's Sebastian. You forget that I was a medical student once upon a time.
"那是塞巴斯蒂安。 你忘了我曾是一个医学生。